Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

Feb 2017 reports - Rosy Canyon, Borax BM, Cottonwood Slot, more

• Steve Hall
  • Steve Hall's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 months 1 week ago #775 by Steve Hall
Steve Hall replied the topic: Feb 2017 reports - Rosy Canyon, Borax BM, Cottonwood Slot, more
Hi Richard, I really have no idea but I figure it's best to ask at the FCVC. I don't want to see any fellow hikers get into trouble but maybe the park service has some insight on whether or not hikers are allowed up the canyon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #774 by RichardK
RichardK replied the topic: Feb 2017 reports - Rosy Canyon, Borax BM, Cottonwood Slot, more

Please do not hike into Corkscrew Canyon without stopping by the Furnace Creek Visitor Center and asking a park ranger for permission to do the hike.

Are the Park Rangers able to grant legal access to Corkscrew Canyon on behalf of Rio Tinto Mining? The no trespass sign was up when we visited the canyon in March, 2016. We ignored it. I suspect that it is really a transfer of liability. If a hiker is injured, they can't sue Rio Tinto because the area is closed. Similarly, the road closed sign on the Whitney Portal Road in winter is routinely ignored by winter mountaineers. If one of their cars is buried in an avalanche, they can't sue Inyo County because the road was closed.

By the way, we normally are great respecters of private property, but not for an outfit like Rio Tinto. They deserve no respect. See here for a list of their numerous abuses:

www.corp-research.org/rio-tinto

• Steve Hall
More
2 months 1 week ago #773 by Steve Hall
Steve Hall replied the topic: Feb 2017 reports - Rosy Canyon, Borax BM, Cottonwood Slot, more
Our third report continues the Borax BM hike with a drop into Corkscrew Canyon from the ridge above. This was an amazing way to see the entire length of Corkscrew Canyon. Hope you enjoy the brand new report and I still have two more to come.

Corkscrew Canyon --
www.panamintcity.com/black/corkscrewcanyon.html

• Steve Hall
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #772 by Steve Hall
You're welcome, Richard. All DV forums are somewhat quiet in the summertime. But I find it a good time to catch up on trip report writing.

Our second report to be released documents a full hike to Borax BM. It shows the hike from the parking area to the summit of Borax BM and then continuing 1 mile farther along the ridgeline. As the report ends, we are standing above the massive vertical headwall above Corkscrew Canyon. Borax BM was an excellent peak hike.

Borax BM --
www.panamintcity.com/black/boraxbm.html

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #771 by RichardK
RichardK replied the topic: Feb 2017 reports - Rosy Canyon, Borax BM, Cottonwood Slot, more
What a stunning area! Thank you for this report. It is super.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Hall

• Steve Hall
More
2 months 3 weeks ago #770 by Steve Hall
Steve Hall created the topic: Feb 2017 reports - Rosy Canyon, Borax BM, Cottonwood Slot, more
I have five new reports to share from a February 2017 visit to Death Valley. The reports will include Borax BM, Corkscrew Canyon, Rosy Canyon, Cottonwood Slot, and Pothole Canyon. The reports are coming out a few months after the fact due to having a very busy work and family schedule these last few months. Rosy Canyon is the first report to come out and it covers a very interesting and surprising area we found in the northern Grapevine Mountains. Hope you all enjoy it.

Rosy Canyon --
www.panamintcity.com/grapevine/rosycanyon.html