Welcome to the Forum
  • Welcome Message +

Dear friends,The old DVTalk campsite served us well since 2001. Over time, however, our one-of a-kind, custom programmed message board has become archaic and cumbersome, and it lacks the standard features of other, more contemporary message boards. Therefore, the time has come to move DVTalk to a more modern, better equipped campsite. All visitors wishing to post must register. If you were previously a registered user of DVTalk, we transferred your DVTalk Nickname and the email address that you used as your Login Name -- but not your password. Therefore, you must either reset your password, or register a new account Read More

4th edition Explorer's Guide to DVNP

More
2 days 21 hours ago #1237 by sunvalleyjoe
sunvalleyjoe replied the topic: 4th edition Explorer's Guide to DVNP
I always wanted to make the run from Pete A overlook to west side road. It was closed by time i had time to do it. We use to stop by the pic nic area at the sand dunes when our kids were young. Guess they closed them to too many people. I have pictures of PSR in early 70's but cannot locate them. I keep looking but way to many slides and photos. GBA!!SVJ DV was way different when it was still a NM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 days 1 hour ago #1236 by sunvalleyjoe
sunvalleyjoe replied the topic: 4th edition Explorer's Guide to DVNP
I think she was a DV
Forty Niner member for years She just sent me a book on Saline Valley Tram history. She lives in N Nevada

• Bellczar
  • Bellczar's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 weeks 22 hours ago - 3 weeks 22 hours ago #1228 by Bellczar
Bellczar replied the topic: 4th edition Explorer's Guide to DVNP
4th edition is 484 pages. 1st edition was 378 pages.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 22 hours ago by Bellczar.

More
3 weeks 23 hours ago #1226 by D.A. Wright
D.A. Wright replied the topic: 4th edition Explorer's Guide to DVNP
I had the original 1996 book until recently, when I gave it to to a friend. I used to extensively reference the book as well. I assume the new version is considerably thinner, given all the road closures of trails featured in the original version.

• Bellczar
  • Bellczar's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 weeks 1 day ago #1225 by Bellczar
Bellczar created the topic: 4th edition Explorer's Guide to DVNP
I saw on Amazon tonight that there is a fourth edition of the Explorer's Guide to Death Valley National Park out with a pub date of January 2021.

I bought the first edition in 1996 and still use it frequently. I also have the 3rd Edition from 2014 on one of my devices.

It is an indispensable reference for planning trips on the back roads of the park. According to the copyright page, one of the authors is in her nineties now.